In today’s Primary assembly, we spoke about World Environment Day. The focus this year is on reducing the amount of plastic in the sea. There are already more microbeads of plastic in our oceans than there are stars in our galaxy! If we don’t make some changes by 2050, there will be more plastic than fish in the sea. Here are some of the things we can do to stop this from happening:
- Reduce the amount of plastic we use.
- Re-use everything we can instead of throwing it out.
- Recycle as much as possible.
- Use FSC products (certified by the Forests Standards Council).
- Save energy by switching things off.
- Save water.
- Using the bus instead of taking the car, or…
- …take the bike instead of the bus.
- Use things that are biodegradable.
- Grow your own fruits and vegetables.
In this way, we can consume with care and look after the planet. This links with the Global Goal 14 – Life below water of the Sustainable Development Goals.
We all have a part to play in taking care of our planet, and this is one way we can.